Are you struggling to care for someone with Parkinson’s disease?
- Having difficulty managing Parkinson’s care at home?
- Feeling overwhelmed by the ongoing demands?
- Want to do the right thing but not sure what that is?
The effects of Parkinson’s Disease are different for everyone. That’s why LivHOME begins with a thorough home care assessment to best understand your loved one’s needs—safety, physical, psychological, and the effects on the family as a whole.
Unlike most home care agencies, LivHOME offers immediate 24/7 access to an advanced-degree geriatric care manager who specializes in family counseling, medical guidance, local resources, and care placement options. They will match, screen, and supervise caregivers on-site to ensure the highest quality of care.
What is Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s Disease is a chronic and progressive movement disorder that affects an estimated one million people in the United States. It predominantly affects the neurons in a part of the brain called the substantia nigra that produce dopamine. The disease worsens slowly over time, and while it is not fatal, there is no known cure.
Parkinson’s disease stages begin with minor symptoms such as tremors. The decline in muscle control gradually increases to the point where the patient becomes immobilized and needs full-time care.
There are many ways to provide a care plan for Parkinson’s disease, including hiring an in-home care agency, such as LivHOME, who specializes in elderly care.
Parkinson’s Home Care Services by LivHOME
Our Parkinson’s home care services allow for a gradual increase over time as the disease progresses and the need for support increases. The following caregiving services are commonly provided to families who are struggling to cope with Parkinson’s disease, including:
- Bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Meal planning and preparation
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Grocery shopping and running errands
- Companionship and joyful activities
- Transportation for appointments
- Exercise and mobility assistance
- Medication reminders
- Medical care coordination with healthcare providers
The Advantages of Hiring LivHOME
It’s quite common for the families of a loved one who are progressing through the stages of Parkinson’s disease to want to provide all the care themselves. This is not optimal, however, with a disease as complex and progressive as Parkinson’s.
Having an experienced home care agency who can formulate and carry out the best care plan for Parkinson’s Disease not only reduces physical, emotional, and financial strain on the family, but it ensures that the patient is getting the best possible care.
Some of the benefits of hiring LivHOME include:
- Finances. Professional management of Parkinson’s home care can help your family save time and money and provide access to select local resources. LivHOME can avoid expensive mistakes and ensure that all care fulfills the specific needs of the loved one, all of which controls costs.
- Mental Health. Caregiver burnout is a severe problem for family members who serve as primary caregivers, because long hours without sufficient sleep or relaxation can create added health problems for them, including depression. LivHOME will know to plan regular time for a family caregiver to de-stress and recover.
- Physical Health. The ongoing work of bathing, dressing, grooming, providing meals and conversation, and generally caring for the needs of a loved one with Parkinson’s Disease are considerable, and they grow more complex over time. LivHOME sees the warning signs before they lead, for instance, to a fall in the bathroom or down the stairs. Our expertise improves the physical well-being of the patient and can help alter the home if required.
- Time. Sometimes the primary caregivers need time away to improve the quality of the time they spend together. A care plan prepared by an expert care manager will include breaks for family caregivers. It may allow the primary caregivers to spend less time doing the things they don’t love—such as housekeeping or laundry—and more time doing what they do love, be it spending quality family time or chatting with their loved one about happy memories.
- Relationships. Caring for a senior with Parkinson’s can stress family dynamics in unforeseen ways. LivHOME knows how to maintain healthy relationships in the family. LivHOME knows how to foresee and prevent any resentment, embarrassment, or feelings of guilt in the family.
The Benefits of a Care Plan for Parkinson’s Disease
The effects of Parkinson’s Disease are different for everyone, so LivHOME begins with a thorough home care assessment of all the patient’s needs—safety, physical, psychological, and effects on the family as a whole. Our experts then create a care plan specifically tailored to the needs of the loved one and their family.
Creating a Care Plan for Parkinson’s Disease
The best way to develop a Parkinson’s Disease care plan is to sit down and talk with an expert who’s been through this many times before. LivHOME care managers can expedite this planning by bringing to bear their vast training and experience. Here is how you can start creating a plan:
- Start with a conversation. Sit down with family members, friends, and any anyone else involved in the caregiving process. If some relatives are out of town, you can use video chats to include them.
- Discuss everyone’s needs. What does the person with Parkinson’s disease need regarding care? How will this change over time? And who will be able to provide all that care?
- Consider all the options. Let everyone involved ask questions and offer up suggestions. Ask that everyone remain as open-minded as possible at first to collect different ideas. Then stop talking and give people time to think about how they can help provide care for your loved one.
LivHOME can provide a wealth of information and resources during this discussion, especially to help inform your family of the challenges that lie ahead. We’d love to help. Request a free consultation with a LivHOME Care Consultant today.