That’s right CELEBRATE…..because the good news about falls is that they are preventable! We all face challenges in life that we may not have much control over; however, falling doesn’t have to be one of them. We now know that falls are not an inevitable part of aging if we take some simple preventative measures.
As we welcome the fall season on September 23rd, join the San Mateo County Fall Prevention Task Force in celebrating National Fall Prevention Awareness Week.
Here are some ideas for getting the celebration (and a fall-free life) started:
- Find a good balance and exercise program. Having good balance and strength can be the difference between a near fall and a fall.
- Talk to your health care provider about any falls, near falls or a fear of falling. Consider a home safety pro-active fall prevention plan assessment and getting some help in making a of your own.
- Regularly review your medications, and anything you take over-the- counter, with your doctor or pharmacist for fall risk side effects.
- Get your vision and hearing checked yearly. Good vision and hearing are key to keeping you on your feet.
- Make safety modifications to age in your own home as safely and independently as possible.
- Talk to your family members, ask for help and seek the supports you may need.